Interest in solar energy is on the rise. In fact, recent reports show that residential solar installation is up 46% over Q2 last year alone. The many benefits of solar power include lower utility bills, a renewable energy source, lessening dependence on fossil fuels, better for the environment, and so much more. There are so many interesting facts about solar power. Here are just a few of our favorites.
The Source of Solar Power
The sun is approximately 4.6 billion years old and is almost 100 million miles away from Earth. The Department of Energy states, “Solar energy is the most abundant energy resource on earth - 173,000 terawatts of solar rays strike the Earth continuously. That's more than 10,000 times the world's total energy use.” The Department further explains, “When the sun shines onto a solar panel, energy from the sunlight is absorbed by the PV cells in the panel. This energy creates electrical charges that move in response to an internal electrical field in the cell, causing electricity to flow.” Solar panels release no harmful emissions into the atmosphere and can be recycled when they lose efficiency.
The two most common types of solar panels used in residential solar installation are monocrystalline and polycrystalline. They differ in efficiency, color, price, and composition.
- Black Exterior Color
- Octagon Shaped Silicone Discs
- Average Efficiency - 15%-20%
- Higher Price Point
- Blue Exterior Color
- Made with Many Silicone Fragments
- Average Efficiency - 13%-16%
When choosing the panel for residential solar installation, consider a premium system that produces greater energy and is more efficient over time.
Interesting Solar Panel Energy Facts
- In March 1958, the first satellite using solar energy was launched into space. Although it no longer functions, the Vanguard 1 is still in orbit.
- The top 3 companies that use solar power are - Apple, Amazon, and Walmart.
- The nations leading solar production are - China, the United States, Japan, and India.
- Solar panels can increase home value.
- The largest solar power plant in the world is Tengger Desert Solar Park in China.
- There are nearly 3,000,000 solar systems in the United States.
- Solar panels produce energy even on cloudy days.
- The average lifespan of a solar panel is 25-30 years.
- Well, over 200,00 people are employed in the solar industry.
- Solar panels can be mounted on rooftops or ground-mounted.
There are so many great things happening in the solar industry. If you are considering residential solar installation, there is still time to take advantage of the 26% Energy Investment Tax Credit (ITC). In addition, some rebates may be available. When you are ready to build your system, reach out to the Yellowlite team. We are standing by to answer any questions you may have. Contact us today!